The Chipping, meaning 'market', was for centuries the site of 'Mop Fairs' where farm hands and domestic staff offered themselves for employment. Many of the surrounding buildings have medieval origins. In the North East corner, the steep covered steps and weavers' cottages retain a delightful rural atmosphere.
The Chipping Steps were originally down Chipping Hill, the alternative to Gumstool Hill. In 1781, the Feoffees financed the cutting, where Chipping Street exists today. At the foot of the steps there is a disused churchyard, where an early 18th century chapel once stood. The houses on the steps data from the 17th century.